Everybody has their preferred toppings for pizza. While some people enjoy a traditional pepperoni, others want to be a little more daring in their selections.
But what happens when you’re craving something straightforward but delectable? The two-topping pizza fills that need.
A two-topping pizza is, at its most basic level, simply that—a pizza with just two toppings. But don’t be fooled by its apparent simplicity. A two-topping pizza may be just as gratifying as any loaded pie with the appropriate topping selection.
Additionally, for individuals who want to experience something new without overloading their palates, it’s a terrific option.
There are many topping possibilities available, whether you want to order delivery or bake your own pizza at home.
The possibilities are unlimited, ranging from traditional combos like pepperoni and sausage to more unusual combinations like shrimp and garlic.
Therefore, the next time you’re in the mood for pizza, think about trying one of these great two-topping pizza options.
The Basics of Two-Topping Pizzas
When it comes to pizza, there are countless topping combinations to choose from. However, sometimes less is more, and a simple two-topping pizza can be just as delicious as a loaded one.
Here are some basics of two-topping pizzas to help you create the perfect pie.
Pizza Topping Ideas
When it comes to choosing toppings for your pizza, the possibilities are endless. Here are some classic two-topping combinations to get you started:
- Pepperoni and Mushroom
- Sausage and Onion
- Ham and Pineapple
- Bacon and Jalapeno
- Chicken and Spinach
- Tomato and Basil
- Olive and Feta Cheese
Of course, you can always mix and match your own favorite toppings to create a unique flavor combination that suits your taste buds.
When selecting toppings, it’s important to consider the texture and flavor profile. For example, if you’re adding a meat topping, consider pairing it with a vegetable or herb that will complement it.
Similarly, if you’re adding a spicy topping, consider pairing it with a creamy or mild one to balance out the heat.
To ensure that your pizza has the perfect balance of flavors, it’s also important to consider the sauce and cheese. A tomato sauce pairs well with most toppings, while a white sauce can be a great base for a chicken or vegetable pizza.
As for cheese, mozzarella is a classic choice, but you can also experiment with other types like cheddar, feta, or goat cheese.
Two toppings pizza can be just as delicious and satisfying as a more complex one. By choosing complementary toppings and balancing flavors, you can create a pizza that is perfect for your taste buds.
Classic Two Topping Pizza Combos
When it comes to pizza, sometimes the classics are the way to go. Here are some of the most popular two toppings pizza combinations that have stood the test of time.
These tried and true toppings are the perfect combination of flavors that make for some incredibly delicious pizzas.
- Pepperoni and Mushroom: The salty, spicy flavor of pepperoni is complemented perfectly by the earthy, savory taste of mushrooms. This combo is a crowd-pleaser and always a hit.
- Sausage and Onion: Sweet onions pair perfectly with savory Italian sausage, making this combo a classic choice for pizza lovers.
- Ham and Pineapple: This controversial combo has been a topic of debate for years, but there’s no denying that the sweet and tangy flavor of pineapple complements the salty and savory taste of ham in a unique and delicious way.
- Bacon and Tomato: The smoky, salty flavor of bacon is perfectly balanced by the juicy, slightly sweet taste of tomatoes. This combo is a must-try for any bacon lover.
- Olive and Pepper: The briny, salty flavor of olives pairs perfectly with the slightly spicy taste of peppers, making this combo a great option for those who love a little kick in their pizza.
- Mushroom and Onion: The earthy, savory flavor of mushrooms is complemented perfectly by the sweet, slightly tangy taste of onions. This combo is a classic for a reason.
- Pepperoni and Sausage: When it comes to pizza, you can’t go wrong with the classic combo of pepperoni and sausage. The bold, spicy flavor of pepperoni is perfectly balanced by the savory, slightly sweet taste of Italian sausage.
- Tomato and Mozzarella: Sometimes less is more, and this simple combo proves it. The juicy, slightly sweet taste of tomatoes pairs perfectly with the creamy, slightly salty flavor of mozzarella cheese.
- Parmesan and Mushroom: The nutty, slightly salty flavor of Parmesan cheese is a great complement to the earthy, savory taste of mushrooms. This combo is a great option for those who want to switch up their pizza toppings.
- Onion and Pepper: The sweet, slightly tangy taste of onions pairs perfectly with the slightly spicy flavor of peppers. This combo is a great option for those who want a little kick in their pizza.
These classic two toppings pizza combos are perfect for any pizza lover who wants to stick with the tried and true. Whether you prefer sweet, savory, spicy, or salty, there’s a combo on this list for everyone.
Controversial Two Toppings Pizzas
When it comes to pizza toppings, there are some combinations that are beloved by many, and others that are more controversial. In this section, we’ll explore some of the most divisive two toppings pizzas out there.
Pineapple and Ham
Pineapple on pizza is a divisive topic, and when paired with ham, it becomes even more controversial. Some people love the sweet and salty combination, while others find it off-putting.
We personally think that pineapple and ham can be a tasty combo, but we understand that it’s not for everyone.
Anchovies and Olives
Anchovies and olives are both strong, salty flavors, and when combined on a pizza, they can be overwhelming.
However, for those who love these two toppings, they can be a match made in heaven. We recommend trying this combo if you’re a fan of salty foods.
BBQ Sauce and Caramelized Onions
BBQ sauce and caramelized onions can be a delicious combo, but it’s not one that’s typically found on traditional pizzas.
The sweetness of the onions pairs well with the smokiness of the BBQ sauce, creating a unique flavor profile. We think this combo is worth a try for anyone who loves BBQ sauce.
Truffle and Mushroom
Truffle is a luxurious ingredient that can add a rich, earthy flavor to a pizza. When paired with mushrooms, it can be a decadent combination.
However, the truffle is an acquired taste, and some people find it overpowering. We recommend trying this combo if you’re a fan of truffles.
Feta Cheese and Spinach
Feta cheese and spinach are both healthy toppings, but they can be divisive when paired together on a pizza. Some people love the tangy flavor of the feta with the earthiness of the spinach, while others find it too strong. We recommend trying this combo if you’re a fan of Mediterranean flavors.
These are just a few of the most controversial two toppings pizzas out there. While some people may love them, others may hate them. We encourage you to try them for yourself and decide which side of the debate you fall on.
Gourmet Two Topping Pizzas
When it comes to pizza, sometimes simple is best. But other times, you want something a little more elevated. That’s where gourmet two toppings pizzas come in.
Here are some of our favorite gourmet toppings to take your pizza to the next level:
- Goat Cheese: This tangy, creamy cheese pairs perfectly with a variety of toppings, from roasted vegetables to prosciutto.
- Sage: The earthy, slightly sweet flavor of sage is a great complement to rich meats like sausage or bacon.
- Roasted garlic: Roasting garlic brings out its sweetness and adds a depth of flavor to any pizza.
- Capers: These little briny bursts of flavor add a pop of saltiness to any pizza, especially when paired with anchovies or smoked salmon.
- Plant-Based Sausage: Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to switch things up, plant-based sausage is a delicious and healthier alternative to traditional sausage.
- Truffle: Truffle oil or truffle paste lends a luxurious, earthy flavor to any pizza. Try it with mushrooms or prosciutto for a decadent treat.
- Pesto: This classic sauce made with basil, garlic, pine nuts, and Parmesan cheese is a perfect match for fresh tomatoes and mozzarella.
When it comes to combining these gourmet toppings, the possibilities are endless. Here are a few of our favorite combinations:
- Goat Cheese and Roasted Garlic: The tangy, creamy goat cheese is the perfect complement to the sweet, nutty flavor of roasted garlic.
- Sage and Plant-Based Sausage: The earthy, slightly sweet flavor of sage pairs perfectly with the savory, meaty flavor of plant-based sausage.
- Capers and Smoked Salmon: These two briny ingredients are a match made in heaven, especially when paired with a creamy sauce or cheese.
- Truffle and Mushroom: The earthy, umami flavor of truffle is a perfect match for meaty mushrooms.
- Pesto and Tomatoes: The bright, fresh flavor of pesto is the perfect complement to juicy, ripe tomatoes.
These gourmet two toppings pizzas are perfect for a special occasion or just a night when you want to treat yourself. Try one of these delicious combinations today!
Homemade Two Topping Pizzas
When it comes to making homemade pizza, the possibilities are endless. One of the best things about making your own pizza is that you can customize it to your liking.
In this section, we will discuss how to make homemade two toppings pizzas that are sure to impress.
The crust is the foundation of any good pizza. Making your own crust may seem intimidating, but it is actually quite simple.
All you need is flour, yeast, water, and salt. We recommend using a kitchen scale to measure your ingredients for accuracy.
To make the dough, combine the flour, yeast, water, and salt in a mixing bowl. Mix until a shaggy dough forms, then turn it out onto a floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes.
Let the dough rest for at least an hour, or until it has doubled in size. Then, roll out the dough to your desired thickness and shape.
Fermentation is the process that gives pizza dough its signature flavor and texture. To ferment your dough, simply let it rest in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours.
This will allow the yeast to develop and the dough to rise slowly, resulting in a more flavorful crust.
When it comes to choosing toppings for your homemade pizza, the possibilities are endless. For a classic two toppings pizza, we recommend using a combination of tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese. From there, you can add any toppings you like.
Some popular two toppings combinations include:
- Pepperoni and mushrooms
- Sausage and onions
- Ham and pineapple
- Chicken and bacon
- Olives and peppers
When choosing your toppings, be sure to use high-quality ingredients for the best flavor. And remember, less is often more when it comes to pizza toppings.
Making your own homemade two toppings pizza is a fun and rewarding experience. With a little bit of practice, you can create delicious pizzas that are customized to your liking. So why not give it a try?