Popular pizza style known as “Brooklyn-style” has its roots in New York City. It is renowned for its thin, crispy crust that is perfectly baked and has a distinctive flavor that distinguishes it from other types of pizza. The selection of pizza toppings is usually wide-ranging and extensive.
Brooklyn-style pizza is a favorite among pizza lovers who prefer a bit more dough than the crunchy thin crust options, but a little less than what you find with conventional hand-tossed pizza.
The perfect harmony of flavor and texture is achieved by the crust’s thinness while still being strong enough to support the toppings.
Hand stretching the dough gives the crust its distinctive texture, which is chewy on the inside and crispy on the exterior.
Brooklyn-style pizza offers a variety of options to satiate your needs, whether you like to try something new or enjoy traditional toppings like pepperoni and mushrooms.
Brooklyn-style pizza has gained popularity among pizza fans all around the world thanks to its thin crust, ample toppings, and distinctive flavor.
What is Brooklyn Style Pizza?
Brooklyn Style Pizza is a type of pizza that is similar to New York-style pizza, but with a few key differences.
The pizza has a thin crust that is crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside. The pizza is typically larger than other types of pizza, with a diameter of around 18 inches.
The term “Brooklyn Style Pizza” was actually coined by Domino’s Pizza in 2006. They introduced a pizza that they called “Brooklyn Style.”
The pizza has a crust that is thinner than other pizzas, and cornmeal is cooked into the crust to make it crunchier.
Brooklyn Style Pizza is often compared to New York-style pizza, but there are a few key differences. New York-style pizza has a thin, floppy crust that can be folded in half, while Brooklyn Style Pizza has a thinner, crispier crust that is less floppy.
One of the defining characteristics of Brooklyn Style Pizza is the way it is cooked. The pizza is typically cooked in a brick oven at a high temperature, which gives it a crispy crust and a slightly charred flavor.
Brooklyn Style Pizza can be topped with a variety of different ingredients, including tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, pepperoni, sausage, mushrooms, onions, and peppers. Some people even like to add non-traditional toppings like bacon, pineapple, or jalapenos.
Brooklyn Style Pizza is a delicious and unique type of pizza that is perfect for anyone looking for a thin, crispy crust and a slightly charred flavor.
The History of Brooklyn-Style Pizza
When it comes to the history of Brooklyn style pizza, it’s important to first understand the origins of New York-style pizza. New York-style pizza is said to have originated in the early 1900s when Italian immigrants began opening pizzerias in New York City.
These pizzerias served a pizza that was larger than the Neapolitan-style pizza that was popular in Italy at the time, and it had a thinner, crispier crust.
Brooklyn style pizza is a variation of New York-style pizza that is said to have originated in Brooklyn.
Some say that it evolved from the New York-style pizza, while others believe that it was created independently. Regardless of its origins, Brooklyn style pizza is now a popular pizza style that is enjoyed by many.
One of the defining characteristics of Brooklyn style pizza is its crust. Unlike New York-style pizza, which has a slightly thicker crust, Brooklyn style pizza has a thin, crispy crust that is often compared to a cracker. This crust is achieved by using high-gluten flour and a longer fermentation process.
Another defining characteristic of Brooklyn style pizza is its toppings. While New York-style pizza typically has a light layer of tomato sauce and a sprinkling of cheese, Brooklyn style pizza often has a heavier layer of sauce and a variety of toppings.
Popular toppings include pepperoni, sausage, mushrooms, onions, and peppers.
The history of Brooklyn style pizza is closely tied to the history of New York-style pizza. While it may have originated in Brooklyn, it has since spread throughout the country and become a beloved pizza style in its own right.
Making the Perfect Brooklyn Style Pizza
When it comes to making the perfect Brooklyn style pizza, there are a few key factors that come into play. From the dough to the toppings, each element plays an important role in creating a delicious and authentic pizza.
In this section, we’ll break down each component and provide tips on how to make the perfect Brooklyn style pizza.
The dough is the foundation of any pizza and is arguably the most important part of a Brooklyn style pizza.
To make the perfect dough, we recommend using high-quality bread flour, yeast, salt, water, and a touch of olive oil. Here’s a simple recipe to follow:
|Bread Flour||3 1/2 cups|
|Active Dry Yeast||1 tablespoon|
|Warm Water||1 1/4 cups|
|Olive Oil||2 tablespoons|
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the bread flour, yeast, and salt. Mix well.
- Gradually add in the warm water and olive oil, stirring the mixture until it forms a sticky dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead for 5-7 minutes until it becomes soft and elastic.
- Form the dough into a ball and place it in a lightly oiled bowl. Cover with a damp towel and let it rest for at least an hour.
- Once the dough has risen, punch it down and divide it into two equal portions. Roll each portion out into a thin, round shape.
The sauce is what gives a pizza its signature flavor and is an essential part of a Brooklyn style pizza. We recommend using a simple tomato sauce seasoned with salt, pepper, and oregano. Here’s a quick recipe to follow:
|Canned Crushed Tomatoes||28 oz|
|Dried Oregano||1/2 teaspoon|
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the crushed tomatoes, salt, pepper, and oregano.
- Spread the sauce evenly over the rolled-out dough, leaving a small border around the edges.
Mozzarella cheese is the classic choice for a Brooklyn style pizza and is what gives the pizza its signature stretchy texture.
We recommend using fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced thinly and spread evenly over the pizza.
When it comes to toppings, the possibilities are endless. However, for a classic Brooklyn style pizza, we recommend keeping it simple with just a few high-quality toppings. Some popular options include pepperoni, sausage, mushrooms, onions, and peppers.
Once you’ve added your desired toppings, dust the pizza with a bit of flour and slide it into a preheated oven at 500°F for 8-10 minutes.
And there you have it, the perfect Brooklyn-style pizza. Serve it up with a sprinkle of fresh basil leaves and enjoy!
Cooking Brooklyn Style Pizza
When it comes to cooking Brooklyn-style pizza, there are a few things to keep in mind to achieve that perfect crispy crust and delicious toppings. In this section, we’ll cover the important steps to take before and during the cooking process.
One of the key elements to cooking Brooklyn style pizza is using a baking stone. This is because the stone absorbs moisture from the pizza dough, resulting in a crispy crust. Here are a few tips when using a baking stone:
- Make sure to preheat the stone in the oven before placing the pizza on it.
- Use a pizza peel to transfer the pizza onto the hot stone.
- Sprinkle some cornmeal on the stone to prevent the pizza from sticking.
- Allow the stone to cool completely before cleaning it.
Preheating the Oven
Another important step to cooking Brooklyn style pizza is preheating the oven. This ensures that the pizza cooks evenly and the crust becomes crispy. Here’s how to preheat the oven:
- Set the oven to the highest temperature possible (usually around 500°F).
- Allow the oven to preheat for at least 30 minutes before cooking the pizza.
- Place the baking stone in the oven during the preheating process to ensure it’s hot enough for the pizza.
By following these tips for using a baking stone and preheating the oven, you’ll be well on your way to cooking delicious Brooklyn style pizza at home.
Serving Brooklyn Style Pizza
When it comes to serving Brooklyn Style Pizza, presentation is key. Here are some tips to help you serve your pizza in the best way possible:
- Cut the pizza into large, foldable slices. Brooklyn Style Pizza is known for its large slices that can be easily folded in half. Cutting the pizza into large slices will make it easier for your guests to enjoy and savor each bite.
- Serve the pizza on a large platter or cutting board. A large platter or cutting board will not only make it easier to serve the pizza, but it will also make for a great presentation. Make sure to choose a platter or cutting board that is large enough to hold the pizza and any additional toppings.
- Add some garnish. To make your pizza look even more appetizing, consider adding some garnish. Fresh herbs like basil or parsley can add a pop of color and flavor to your pizza.
- Serve with dipping sauce. Brooklyn Style Pizza is delicious on its own, but serving it with a dipping sauce can take it to the next level. Marinara sauce or garlic butter are popular choices.
By following these tips, you can ensure that your Brooklyn Style Pizza is not only delicious but also visually appealing.
Storing Brooklyn Style Pizza
When it comes to storing Brooklyn Style Pizza, there are a few things to keep in mind to ensure that it stays fresh and delicious. Here are some tips on how to store your pizza properly:
If you have leftover pizza that you want to store in the fridge, it’s important to do it right. Here’s what we recommend:
- Wrap the pizza in plastic wrap or aluminum foil to keep it airtight.
- Place the wrapped pizza in an airtight container or a resealable plastic bag.
- Store the container or bag in the fridge.
It’s important to note that refrigeration can affect the texture of the pizza. The crust may become soggy, and the toppings may lose their flavor. To combat this, you can reheat the pizza in the oven or on the stovetop.
If you have extra dough balls that you want to store for later use, you can freeze them. Here’s how:
- Wrap the dough balls in plastic wrap or aluminum foil to keep them airtight.
- Place the wrapped dough balls in an airtight container or a resealable plastic bag.
- Store the container or bag in the freezer.
When you’re ready to use the dough, remove it from the freezer and let it thaw in the fridge overnight. Then, let it come to room temperature on the counter before using it.
If you’re making pizza dough from scratch, you’ll need to let it rise before using it. To do this, you’ll need to cover the dough with a towel. Here’s what we recommend:
- Lightly flour the surface of the dough.
- Cover the dough with a clean, damp towel.
- Place the dough in a warm place to rise.
Make sure the towel is damp, but not soaking wet. This will help create a humid environment that will help the dough rise.
When you’re letting your pizza dough rise, it’s important to choose a warm place. Here are some options:
- In the oven with the light on. The light will create a warm environment that will help the dough rise.
- On top of the fridge. The warm air from the fridge will help the dough rise.
- In a warm room. If you have a warm room in your house, you can let the dough rise there.
Make sure the place you choose is not too hot, as this can kill the yeast in the dough. Aim for a temperature of around 80°F (27°C).
By following these tips, you can store your Brooklyn Style Pizza properly and enjoy it at its best.